Thursday, August 25, 2011

Vacation Post: Thoughts on the Title

Lots of authors steal titles from Shakespeare*, so 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley is not original, although it is catchy.

Here's my first thought: We've got a book that was written in the past, with its title referring to an even more distant past, and it takes place in the future.** Don't you love literature? Nothing else can defy time so well. It's not even defiance. It's a total disregard.

This is just a tidbit of my thoughts, because I feel bad leaving for California right after announcing the project. Expect one more vacation post (a longer one) before I return, and expect me to expand on my thoughts about time and literature throughout the rest of the year.



* "O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world! That has such people in it!" -Act V, Scene 1 of The Tempest
** 1931, 1610, 632 A.F., respectively

No comments:

Post a Comment